Looking to ship a car from the U.S to Canada, but not sure how long the process is or what steps are involved? Perhaps someone has told you that it’s very hard to move your car through the border, and now you are not sure if you should go through with it? Well, there is a lengthy process, but it’s not that challenging if you understand all the steps. Read on to know more:
There are Some Legal Prerequisites but Nothing Challenging:
When you are shipping a car across the border, you will have to go through many legal processes that can be time-consuming but not difficult to accomplish. Everything has already laid out in this article by Driving.Ca. But we will quickly walk you through the process to make it easier for you to understand everything:
- First of all, you need to find out if your vehicle is permitted to enter Canada or, in other words, ‘importable’ to Canada. For this, you can check this page and see if your model is listed. If a vehicle is 15 years order or before the 2006 model, then you don’t have to worry about this list.
- Next, you need to ensure the vehicle has a clear title of ownership when importing. You cannot import a vehicle into Canada that has a rebuilt or salvage title.
- You will have to provide the U.S border with a digital scan of the car title (front and back) and the internal transit number ITN via email exactly 72 hours before you show up at the border.
- You need to obtain an ITN number from a professional importer by sending them the scan of your car’s title (front and back), the value of your car, complete Canadian address, your phone number and Canadian passport number. All of that will be sent to the U.S border by the importer.
- Next, you need to call the border 72 hours before you will show up there and have a clean title and ITN paperwork with you. Find out which U.S border you need to cross because not every border has an export office. Then learn about the address of that office by getting on the phone with the representatives of that office.
- Lastly, as you pass through the customs gate of Canada, let them know that you’re importing a car, and they will show you a spot to park the car go inside the office to pay GST or HST (depending on entry province).
- Customs may make problems for you over the amount of purchase, so bring out the receipt or eBay listing screenshot of the car that you purchased to show them that you paid exactly what you are claiming.
Keep in mind, if the car is newer than 15 years, you will pay a $200 fee on it. Furthermore, if it has air conditioning, you will pay another $100 fee.
Auto Transport Service Can Make Cross Border Shipping Easier:
We know, all of these aforementioned steps can spin anyone’s head, and they are not for those with busy schedules and demanding jobs. Therefore, if you really want someone to handle all of that for you while you keep on with your daily life, an auto shipping company is the right choice.
Easy Auto Shipping offers a top-rated car transport service from the U.S to Canada at a fraction of the cost. Plus, we will assist you with all of the legal document requirements for the import process.